Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Four Aims: Pleasure and Community Service

Note: Explicit material is in this post and will probably be in a lot of my posts.

Pleasure



1. Nicki Minaj, Foxy Brown, & Lil' Kim, "Swag It Out," Hip Hop, 2009
2. Curren$y, "Elevator Music," Rap/Hip Hop, 2003
3. De La Soul, "Buddy," Hip Hop, 2006
4. A Tribe Called Quest, "Bonita Applebum," Hip Hop, 1990
5. Robin Thicke, "Teach U A Lesson," R & B, 2006

Community Service



1. Never Shout Never, "Harmony," Pop/Feel Good Music, 2010
2. Bob Marley, "Redemption Song," Reggae, 1979
3. Never Shout Never, "Love is Our Weapon," Pop/Feel Good Music, 2010
4. K'naan, "Waving Flag," Pop/Tribal House, 2010
5. Black Eyed Peas, "Union," Pop, 2005

I was not really surprised with anything in the assignment. I can’t lie and say I didn’t expect to see a bunch of blogs about amazing sex because the American in me thinks about sex when I hear the word “pleasure.” I feel like community service is more important of an aim to focus on when compared to pleasure. Of course, pleasure is amazing and fun, but that is something that I feel is more of a personal enjoyment (in terms of sex). Well, for me community service is a pleasurable (maybe enjoyable is a better word), but I know the majority of people get pleasure out of more cliché things like sex and partying. Community service gives back to the world and it builds good karma in the Hindu faith. I think community service may even be a duty (like in Islam); if so, fulfilling dharma boosts good karma in the Hindu faith, as well. If the goal is to escape samsara so that the soul can stop being reincarnated, then community service would be a productive way to replace bad karma with good karma. Compared to Western religions, pleasure is considered a good thing in Hinduism. Hindus are all about fulfilling their desires as long as it is in moderation and a happy balance is maintained. In America, I notice that everyone lives in the moment. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like it’s an easy way to get off of the “right path” (if that’s what you’re looking for). People get sucked into what’s best for them at the moment and not what’s best for those around them along with those who will be around in the future. I think it’s important to give back to the community because I feel like it purifies the soul a little bit to do something nice for another. The difference between the pleasure and community service in American pop culture compared to Hindu culture is that Americans tend to overindulge [in the aims] for the moment’s happiness while Hindu’s tend to balance each aim for their spiritual well-being for both the present and the future. I think it is important to note that things can be best enjoyed if they are in moderation.

4 comments:

  1. First and foremost, I love the song Bonita Applebaum. Other than that, I do agree that Americans overindulge when it comes to fulfilling the four aims. I guess it's in our nature to get faster and greater results rather than take small doses. If giving good karma in community service was a duty in American society like Hindu and Island culture, we would all live such different lifestyles (which is a good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overindulgence is very addictive.
    I liked your comment on how people get sucked into whatever is best for them at the time and don't really think about what's best for others.
    Is this just human nature? I hope not.
    You did a good job of finding community service songs - Never Shout Never is a pretty good source for this.
    I enjoyed your insight on Hinduism when you touched on dharma and building good karma - good stuff.
    - Also, good call with T.I. on my blog - Dead and Gone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that community service should be big and play a vital role in society. I am in the same boat with you that I feel good when I am doing something that is for a good cause and can potentially impact someone or something life. More people should take the timeout of their schedule and do the same, so they see how the little things they do can affect someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definately agree with you on the community service aspect. If more people thought the same, the world would probably be a better place. Little things that take two minutes can make a big difference if a lot of people contribute. I understand how personal pleasure is favored in today's society, but at the same time, personal pleasure is much more enjoyable in a safe and friendly environment. I think that is maybe why people in Hinduism seemed to value both equally from my understanding.

    ReplyDelete